Holiday Engagement (2011)


Synopsis: 
Always struggling in life and love, Hillary Burns constantly feels the pressure to marry from her demanding mother, Meredith. Finally, this holiday season, she thinks she finally has it right. Hillary assures her meddling mother that her handsome new fiancé is coming to the Burns’ family home for Thanksgiving weekend to finally meet her crazy clan. But when the workaholic lawyer suddenly breaks up with her, Hillary has to scramble to find a replacement or risk facing her mother’s wrath. After posting an ad online, she hires David, an out-of-work actor to pose as her fiancé in front of her mom, her dad and her snobbish sister Trish. Soon, her fake engagement starts to feel real when she begins falling for David. Can Hillary find a way to turn this replacement into the real deal? Or will her overbearing mother find out the truth before the holiday is through? 

Starring: 
Bonnie Somerville, Jordan Long, Shelley Long, Sam McMurray, Haylie Duff, Carrie Wiita, Chris McKenna, and Jennifer Elise Cox 

Genre: 
Comedy, Romance 

Premiered: 
November 28, 2011 - Hallmark Channel 


Christmas in July 2020 Movie #9 

The ill fitting and ugly cloths all these actors had to wear, tsk tsk. You shouldn't have Shelley Long wearing a shirt that bunches up in front and exposes her midriff. 


This was a throw back Hallmark move if I ever saw one. They just don't make 'em like this anymore. There's a lot of male flesh exposed, sex talk, a women in a bra. Any way this really isn't a Christmas movie, it all takes place at Thanksgiving with everyone putting up Christmas decorations. Your classic I got dumped and then hired an actor to pretend to be my fiancé and then maybe fall in love flick. This film is fine, tries a little too hard to be funny, and iffy acting from some, but overall it's okay. 


Update: 

I watched this on Amazon Prime and totally forgot I set my DVR to record this when it aired on Hallmark recently. I went in with a little fast forwarding to see if by any chance this was edited, cause Hallmark ain't like it was in 2011, and it is edited very slightly. I noticed that when the naked guy gets into bed we saw some of his bare legs, that's edited out but he's still shirtless. While the lady in the bra is still shown some of the scenes in the bridal shop were cut which makes no sense. Where they that important, don't think so. Some of the sex talk is cut down. Slight, very minor edits but I knew they wouldn't air this as is. I wonder if that's why a lot of their older catalog titles don't air anymore. You know what else I realized, somebody gave me this movie on DVD years ago and I completely blanked on it. Holy shit. 


My Rating: ⭐⭐½ 












Where to Watch: Pluto TV / Tubi


Comments