Hercule Poirot's Christmas (1994)


Synopsis: 
Hercule Poirot is summoned to a mansion house for Christmas and is confronted with murder. 

Starring: 
David Suchet, Philip Jackson, Vernon Dobtcheff, Simon Roberts, Catherine Rabett, Eric Carte, AndreΓ© Bernard, Brian Guaspari, Sasha Behar, Mark Tandy, John Horsley, and Scott Handy 

Genre: 
Drama, Mystery, Period Piece 

Premiered: 
December 25, 1994 (UK) - ITV 


Christmas in July 2020 - Movie #10 


Based on the novel by Agatha Christie. 


Hercule Poirot can't even take Christmas off. I really love this film, been a few years since I've seen it and I'd forgotten a few things like how funny it was. Solid cast, David Suchet is always brilliant, the production values are top notch all around. The mystery is intriguing with many possible outcomes, and it all works out with a large cast, and many red herrings. I love how we have a lot of characters but no one feels forgotten or underdeveloped. This is a solid adaptation of the novel, a few changes here and there, but still pretty faithful. A few characters were left out for this adaption. Inspector Japp is not in the book, but his character is in the film because he's a familiar face to the audience in these Poirot adaptations. I'd say the few differences in no way will make book purists angry, at least I don't think so. 


Despite the murder of a must unlikeable human being, I found this a fun murder mystery. All these characters were pricks really. You got the rich murdered man being a huge pervert to his daughter-in-laws, rub my legs. You know what that's code for. One of them even says to her hubby your father makes me do things and he's like don't ruin my allowance. Then another son is trying to bang his niece the entire film. I just shook my head through all of it. It did not bother me, and I laughed at the audacity of these guys. You're not supposed to like these characters any how. This is a great adaptation, and a really solid Poirot film. It's entertaining, and fun, and a really good mystery thriller for a different kind of Christmas story.  


My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 



Where to Watch: BritBox 


Comments