The Waltons' Homecoming (2021)


Synopsis: 
John and Olivia Walton face struggles as parents raising six children during the Great Depression and rely on their eldest child - John Boy, an aspiring writer - to help nurture his siblings. John Sr. has been away working at a mill to support his family, so Olivia is thrilled when she receives word that he's coming home for Christmas. The family prepares for his arrival and the holiday, but a winter storm and a bus crash derail their plans, and John Boy must brave a life-changing journey into the Blu Ridge Mountains to search for his father. 

Starring: 
Bellamy Young, Richard Thomas, Ben Lawson, Logan Shroyer, Marcelle Le Blanc, Christian Finlayson, Tatum Sue Matthews, Samuel Goergen, Callaway Corrick, Alpha Trivette, and Rebecca Koon 

Genre: 
Drama, Family, period Piece 

Premiered: 
November 28, 2021 - The CW 


🎄 2021 Christmas Binge Watch Movie #39 🎄 


I'm a huge fan of The Waltons. I've seen every episode of the show, I've seen all the movies, I've read all the books, I've seen Spencers Mountain, and I love them all and own them all. Going into this I knew I was gonna be biased, but I wanted to give this the benefit of the doubt. So low expectations is what I had especially because it aired on the CW. I will say that I have never been against a potential remake for this show, or Little House on the Prairie for that matter. I just fully believe that it’s an uphill battle. These shows are timeless, and they still work today, so go on ahead and try to catch that lighting in a bottle. It's just so hard because The Waltons and Little House are still on television. Numerous networks air the reruns daily, new fans continue to emerge, they are beloved properties, and it's sort of a cultural presence. Even if you've never watched you know what it is. Stuff like that is hard to recapture. 


This remake was made in honor and celebration of fifty years since the original "The Homecoming: A Christmas Story" that introduced television audiences to John Boy and his family. It was so popular and beloved it lead to the creation of "The Waltons" television series which ran for nine seasons and six television movies not including the original Homecoming. Richard Thomas is the only original surviving cast member to appear in this remake as the narrator, an older version of John Boy sharing his family's story. The movies and show were originally narrated by Earl Hammer Jr. who created everything Waltons. It all started with his novels inspired by his family and childhood. (They are great by the way.) This remake, "The Waltons: Homecoming" does very much honor the spirit and the legacy of the original Waltons, and Earl Hammer's creation. It's all there, it's very much an old fashioned family tale. It's also trying to appeal to a modern audience but nothing like what you see on the CW. I'm surprised they went that family oriented and not so much teen angst, which was there. 


This was just okay. Loved how they used the original theme music, and that Richard Thomas was back in any capacity. I don't like how they couldn't or didn't invite any of the former cast members to pop up for a cameo. Come on now. What a treat that would've been for long time fans. Oh well. I can't get over how they omitted a child. What did Ben do to get cast off? I don't understand that decision to just have six children instead of seven. Was seven too many to keep track off? Was it because they thought it would look better to just have three daughters and three sons? Like they didn't have the budget for one more kid? Maybe they don't like odd numbers. Who knows. The acting wasn't great. None of the kids had the same dang accent. At first it's super hard on those accents and then it gets less and less. Oy. For a period piece this looked so fake. When Calls the Heart on the Hallmark Channel looks more realistic visually than this movie and that's saying a lot. It kinda reminded me of watching a play, like if that's the visuals they were going for than fine. The world felt so unbelievable, so un-lived in. You don't have to look a hundred percent like the time period you're representing, but the world has to look lived in at least for me to believe it. Everyone was just too stiff to be believable. Everything was too new and shiny. Like the furniture and cloths looked brand new and never worn. This is a family living through the depression, stuff needs to look worn and lived in. You get used to it, but I predict if this had a bigger budget and a little more time it'd look a tad more believable. That's even if they cared about that stuff as much as I do. I did laugh over how the youngest, Elizabeth, is five years old but the actress looked like she was eight or nine. There were two moments that I laughed out loud. When Jim Bob is complaining to grandpa that his arm is sore form holding something and grandpa goes on to say that's why God gave you two hands. Another was unintentional. When Elizabeth sees the cracked doll face and yells out, 'she's dead John Boy!' I lost it at that line delivery, it was hysterical. Sure I feel a little bad cause that's a kid, but it was so bad. I almost forgot the stuffed turkey doll filling in for a dead turkey. That had me giggling. Jason was too much of a prick in this for me. The Baldwin sisters, I prefer them not knowing the recipe was moonshine. It's a mixed bag for sure. I feel like everyone was trying just a little too hard if you know what I mean.  


All that said, this was okay. Not great, but just okay. If they ever do another special or movie with The Waltons' characters I'd watch, I'd give it another chance. It was never gonna top the original, but I'm okay with what we got. I say give this a try. Watch the original if you get a chance. It's a classic, and we don't get the scope or grandness in TV movies like we did back in the seventies or eighties anymore.  

My Ratting: ⭐⭐½ 









Where to Watch: The CW app 

Comments