The Christmas Contest (2021)


Synopsis: 
Exes Lara and Ben compete in a Christmas contest to win money for the charity of their choosing. The city watches them battle and choose what is more important, victory, or love. 

Starring: 
Candace Cameron Bure, John Brotherton, Barbara Niven, BJ Harrison, Jennifer Higgin, Doron Bell, and Keenan Tracey 

Genre: 
Romance 

Premiered: 
November 28, 2021 


🎄 2021 Christmas Binge Watch Movie #38 🎄 

Based on the novel by Scarlet Wilson. 

Well this movie turned out to be a lot of fun and weird in a good way. I'm all for the weird. Totally on board with all the messy bed head and questionable hairstyling. Boy does Candace Cameron Bure look great in this movie. I'm just so happy that finally in one of these holiday movies the mom is on the daughter's side and not wanting her to get back together with the ex. Oh man that ex. I could not stand that character at first, I was like I hope it was she who dumped him, but nope. It took awhile for the character to grow on me, or for me to even root for him to end up with the girl. I loved the competition aspect, the host's bewilderment at the excess competitive nature or when they were shouting answers. There's a good amount of humor that gave this movie much levity especially when it gets a bit melodramatic relationship wise. The mom throwing out a Star Search reference had me rolling. I haven't heard someone mention Star Search in like forever. I did find this movie very charming, I laughed throughout, so I had a good time. The weird aspect is that in many ways it was trying to be a traditional Hallmark movie, questioning one's job and lifestyle, exes falling back in love, parental hiccups, and all that. But there was a sarcastic tone throughout that I greatly enjoyed. It was a little kooky, and like I said before I was here for it. 

My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐ 










 


Where to Watch: Hallmark Channel 

Comments