Annie Live! (2021)


Synopsis: 
"The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow" this holiday season as NBC has found its next live musical event: the beloved seven-time Tony Award-winning hit Annie Live! Based on the comic strip Little Orphan Annie by Harold Gray. 

Starring: 
Celina Smith, Harry Connick Jr., Taraji P. Henson, Tituss Burgess, Nicole Scherzinger, Megan Hilty, and Jeff Kready 

Genre: 
Musical, Drama, Comedy, Live Television 

Premiered: 
December 2, 2021 - NBC 


🎄 2021 Christmas Binge Watch Movie #46 🎄 

I can't believe how good this was. I wasn't expecting it to be, throughout the years these live musicals have been more miss than hits, but this production of Annie was really well done. Those kids have got some talent, I'll forgive some of that scream singing. Loved Megan Witty and Tituss Burgess, they were so hysterical, I just wish they had more to do. The bald cap on Harry Connick Jr. did not at all bother me, surprisingly, I was just so glad we got a number with him on the piano. Taraji P. Henson looked like she was having the time of her life. There was this number with Nicole Scherzinger, she's dressed in this fabulous yellow dress and looked like she was plucked right out of the golden age of Hollywood. There were a few hiccups with some camera shots, but overall this was a solid outing. The musical numbers, the dancing, the sets, and the costumes all looked so good. The live audience was a nice touch. I wish we didn't get so many commercial breaks though. I mean when we see live theater we only get one intermission. I really enjoyed this, and that surprises me. Come to think about it, the only relationship I have with the Annie musical is the 1982 film. I was never that big of a fan of Little Orphan Annie. Honestly I was more of a Pippi Longstocking fan. I knew it was, or is, a comic strip from the 1930s. Maybe I've seen the early thirties films as a kid, I'm not sure. When I think of Annie I think of the eighties movie, so it was a nice treat to see another iteration of it. Kinda reminded me that I do sorta like this musical more than I remembered. Any who, this live event was pretty successful in my book. I do wonder if this property is at all familiar to younger viewers, seems to skew older to me. Like I was kid when the eighties movie came out, so like folks over forty will know it. I just don't know if anybody twenty and younger do. Maybe I'm wrong. Not sure it's gonna get great ratings, but I'd like to see this tradition of live musicals airing on television during the holidays continue. 


My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 









Where to Watch: Available on Blu-Ray & DVD 


Comments