Magic in Mount Holly (2021)

 

Synopsis: 
A new gallery owner discovers that he can paint the future using a paintbrush left by Santa. As she discovers the true magic with herself, she also learns to love and be more confident. 

Starring: 
Taryn Hacker, Cody Calafiore, Yan-Kay Crystal Lowe, Carrie Genzel, Al Sapienza, Terri Garber, Patrick Muldoon, Jennifer Bassey, and Frank Whaley 

Genre: 
Drama, Romance, Fantasy 

Premiered: 
November 16, 2021 - VOD 


-----  SPOILERS. -----

Pre-Bonus Merry-Thon - #0.1  


Slighting cheating by starting my holiday watching before the first new movie of the season begins on the twenty first of October, but so what. After watching some Candy Cain written and directed holiday movies I felt the need to watch all her movies because it's a chore, and a punishment to cleanse my sins, and oddly fascinating how she gets these done. They are never good, or well acted. To summarize up this movie, and the terrible acting, I'm just gonna copy down my notes. 


  • I see by the credits we’ve got some former soap stars in this. And a Signed Sealed Delivered star! 
  • Not even five minutes in and we already got the lead actress waste time by taking plastic off of styrofoam cups and placing them on a table. Very much a Candy staple. 
  • Oh look there’s the big brother dude who can‘t act. 
  • Yay. Our first musical montage of our characters doing things by just standing around and looking, this one is brief. Another staple. 
  • This girl is late and she’s running around the block and the camera just stays there after she runs around the block and we don’t see her anymore. 
  • Another musical montage, putting on make up and combing hair. These are not uncommon scenes and it’s not bad per se, but having the camera just sit at the back of this lady’s head and seeing her fingers tap her hair in the same spot is something. 
  • I think they just shut the lights off in the middle of a scene and it wasn’t intentional. 
  • After watching so many Candy Cane movies I see a cast of regulus. 
  • Another musical montage. Let’s see hands cutting some slices of cake, counting money, pouring wine, picking up money, then folding money, there’s lots of scenes of money. I get it, she’s selling her paintings. 
  • Wait I thought she was a painter at her grand opening of her art studio, but she’s also selling earrings? So she makes jewelry too? 
  • Apparently Santa, or so I believe, has given her a magic paint brush. Seems what she’s painting is coming true but we don’t get to see the painting. 
  • They just looking at a picture going oh my gosh, all we see is the back of a canvas. 
  • Um. 
  • It’s very apparent that during the close-ups for the actors that they are directly speaking to the camera. I could be wrong but it totally reads like that. 
  • Another musical montage. Montage is to strong a word for this, interlude. At least in this montage we actually see the painting that’s going to come true while our lead actress puts on her coat, and fixes her hair, and grabs a bag. 
  • Another staple of Candy Cain’s films. Somebody in the bathroom holding a toothbrush, or brushing their teeth, washing off that toothbrush and their hands, and they’re drying their hands on a towel. 
  • Wait a minute, these guys are talking to each other for a bit and that guy clearly wants to date this girl. and they don’t know each other’s names. He only met her yesterday and he’s like she’s going to be my girlfriend. 
  • I've lost count of the musical montages or interludes. I can't keep up.
  • Hold on a minute, these guys are chastising their friends about waving to people they don’t know cause it’s creepy. These guys met only yesterday and they’re practically dating. 
  • My cat is super into this movie and I don’t know how to feel about it. 
  • It’s supposed to be Christmas but nothing is decorated except for a garage door that has like a wreath or something. Oh wait the studio has some tinsel. 
  • To prove that she’s got a magic paintbrush she’s gonna paint this guy she just met yesterday proposing to her to see if it comes true. Her BFF suggested this, girl no. They keep talking about they haven’t gone on a date yet or kissed. They just met twenty-four hours ago. 
  • I will give this movie credit, clever for how they wrote around that proposal. I must be delusional. 
  • Oh my gosh they can’t keep the lighting the same in one scene. I get that they had to edit it as best as they could but it’s noticeable. One minute there’s lights and the next it’s dim, then back to light. Definitely the fault of the lighting department. 
  • Who am I kidding, there was no lighting department. 
  • My poor former soap stars, at least one of them has an Emmy and they gotta do this. 
  • And those poor former stars of the eighties, granted it was a brief stardom, but this is the best they can get. 
  • Let me be kind here, maybe they are friends with Candy? 
  • I think Candy Cain has broken me. This movie isn’t wholly terrible, it’s low budget, the acting is not good, the ending is anti climatic, it doesn’t look good, don’t know what the narrator was trying to do, I mean it’s not good but passible. I might be broken.  
My Rating: ⭐⭐½  

Where to Watch: Tubi 

Comments